Thursday, July 8, 2010

BIRTHDAY SEASON

It's always that darn intriguing paper...
The big ONE

On a boat ride with Grandpa on Lake Walensee
All of our birthdays are in late spring and summer.  Luke kicks off what we have deemed "birthday cake season" at the end of March and the rest of us celebrate in May, June and July.  It is also notable that if Chris "healthy" Courts has a nutritional achilles heel, birthday cake it is…so we all enjoy our cake that much more as we watch him truly enjoy a dessert.  With my Dad in town to add another birthday celebration to the roster (the day before Levi's), we pull a double header as we celebrate Grandpa Bruce turning 61 (hope you don't mind I put your age in here, Dad) on the 7th and our little prince Levi Ryder turning the big ONE on the 8th!!!  
Of the birthdays I've shared with my Dad, one of my favorites was when I turned 21 camping with my parents in the Grand Tetons.  My dad made me a G and T neat, and we enjoyed it watching a breathtaking sun set light up the sky over the mountain peaks.  Being able to grill up a tasty birthday dinner for my dad on our deck--looking out at the sunset light reflecting off of the Swiss Alps--has now been added to my list of birthday favorites shared with him.  I love you, Dad!  Thanks for being the person you are and the best Dad a girl (or five) could have.
As for the littlest man in my life, I have been caught off guard with how emotional I feel to see my last baby leave behind babyhood.  Levi is our sweetie.  He is pretty quiet, very flexible (with his first passport stamp at 5 months and A LOT of traveling since then I guess he has to be).  He LOVES to go places (he gets so excited if we say the word bye-bye, picture a dog catching a glimpse of his leash in anticipation of a walk).  His favorite toy is a ball--any ball.  He will toss them, chase them, even kick them for minutes on end…which is saying something for a one year old.  His hair is crazy out of control, but so wispy and blonde I can't bring myself to cut it.  He tends to be shy, but did relish in the spotlight as we sang him happy birthday.  He just didn't seem to know what to do with himself, but he was all smiles and a bit bashful.  He was scared to touch the sprinkles on his birthday cake, and would only eat the cake-no frosting!  It has been a fast year, little man.  But we are so glad you are a part of our lives.  You bring us so much happiness and a lot of laughs.  We love you, Levi!

No comments:

Post a Comment