Tuesday, April 13, 2010

FRANKLY (get it?), I PREFER PAPER MONEY


Is Zurich not the banking capital of the world?  What is up with all of these coins?  The Swiss currency is the Swiss Franc.  The smallest coin they have is worth five cents (no petty pennies for the rich Swiss!)-I have only seen one 5-cent coin since I've been here.  Apparently, they just round up!  They also have 10 and 20 cent coins.  BUT, the coins that are exchanged the most are: the 5 franc coin, the 2 franc coin, the 1 franc coin and the half franc (which is the smallest coin-smaller than a dime but worth a whopping 50 cents!).  I learned the hard way to ALWAYS carry some coins with me.  They are used for everything from using a grocery cart, to using public restrooms, to-you guessed it-paying for parking.  The deceiving thing is that in America I am used to change that isn't near as valuable. (I'd rather spend my nickels and dimes than carry them)  So here, I find myself shelling out a few SwissFranc coins for, say, an ice cream cone-and other random purchases, and all of a sudden you realize that those suckers are worth DOLLARS…not cents!  As I go to empty the change from my pockets I realize, "this isn't just change for a dollar...this is SEVENTEEN dollars"!  Frankly, I think these Swiss are sinisterly financially savvy…these high value coins just might be part of a big conspiracy to catch us nickel and dimers off guard…

No comments:

Post a Comment