Friday, May 21, 2010

FREEZE!!! F - B - I

And that is exactly where we are with this registration process…frozen.  We have filled out a ton of paperwork, submitted passport photos (two sets, as the Swiss would have it-one set WITH NO SMILING ALLOWED), provided proof that we have health insurance, are married, were born in the USA, yadda, yadda, yadda.  And now, the Swiss have come back to us with a request for fingerprints and a criminal record report (or rather lack thereof) from the FBI-by next week.  Meanwhile, there  is only one police station in all of Zurich that does fingerprinting, and according the FBI's website, our request for our "permanent record" will take approximately…13 weeks.  So, until we get this whole thing sorted out, and receive our actual registration papers, we can't get a driver's license, and I can't leave the country.  See what I mean about being frozen?  I tell you what, now that I will have a Swiss bank account AND be on file with the FBI, I just might start to feel like someone important.  

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this blog Jodi! I read it aloud to Tony as he was making brunch. This is such a great way to journal about your experience there and have memories for life. I am so proud of you for taking on this challenge and I am so glad that the transistion is mostly over and you are enjoying it all. Even the coins, constant charges, stairs, and other things that make life less convenient. I am really enjoying all of the photos too! I love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Em. It is certainly an incredible opportunity and we are really enjoying it on the whole. It just takes nerves of steel to get settled....and I think we are pretty much there! yay

    ReplyDelete
  3. jodi, i am all caught up on your blog and dying for more stories! i am so intrigued by this country and it's incredible rule system. altho' i will say it is making me feel like an enviornmental schmuck here in america. it makes me sad, that as americans we can't get it TOGETHER!!!! there are so many more thoughts....i'm absolutely thrilled for your experiences and look forward to hearing the continuation. i SO think you need to continue this blog after you all have returned to the states! i think that will end up being one of the biggest tests of all!! thanks for sharing jodi! i wish i could come join you with my girls! i really do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodi! you are a great writer and I love the blog...it's just like I am talking to you and hearing your stories. You are a brave soul and I admire your ability to be transplanted...I am a chicken & I guess I would cost about 15.00 a pound--LOL!! Keep up the great "blogging" I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodi-just read through your blog! It is so fun to read. I am SOOOO in awe of your courage to take on this international living adventure with your little ones. Keep posting the beautiful pics of the scenery and your boys! Happy Memorial Day :) - Carolyn Miner

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to say I read all of your posts and I think it is fantastic! You are wonderfully positive and that is a great way to be when in a challenging situation. I really wish I could come visit you soon. This will serve as a remarkable keepsake for you and the boys of your time here as a family!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Lani-hey! Wow, glad you are liking it. Just think, if you did bring your girls over it would be "the Brady Bunch does Europe"...in all seriousness, we are learning a ton, picking up new ideas, and appreciating some from home as well.
    @Carolyn-thanks for the note and for reading...I certainly will try to keep up with the pics...the trouble with digital cameras is only picking a few out of the thousands
    @ Jenny-hey woman, your comment post made ME laugh...like you always do-thanks for the shout out
    @ Bethany-I wish you could come too. Luckily, we'll be here for a while, so it might work out! love ya.

    ReplyDelete